People have described brick as a classic and stately material. Walls, chimneys, porches, and entire exteriors consisting of brick, appear to be enduring, robust, and impenetrable. Bricks customarily made from clay or burned or fired in an oven are even more powerful and well-built. Like all materials, brick degrades over time. However, a seemingly long-lasting material, like brick, doesn’t last forever. Here is a breakdown of brick deterioration and why it happens. We’ll also explain what you can do to ensure that your brick lasts longer.
What Causes Brick Deterioration?
How long your brick structure will last or begin to deteriorate/weaken depends on several aspects, such as the following:
- The quality of the brick, mortar and installation
- Moisture (water or frost penetration)
- Sandblast cleaning techniques
- The structure settling and shifting
- Constant exposure to vibrations
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Absorption of groundwater
- Impact damage
What are the Results of Damaged Brick?
The resulting damage from these influences can happen in many ways, such as:
- Loose or missing bricks and mortar
- Foundation leaks
- Cracks in the bricks or along the mortar
- Diagonal cracks near corners
- Spalling (brick flaking or crumbling of the outer layer)
- Bulging, bowling, or buckling (usually external walls)
How to Prevent Brick Deterioration
You can prevent brick surfaces from deteriorating by keeping them dry. Of course, you can’t wrap a home or building in a poncho every time it rains. However, you can identify the areas most susceptible to water damage, including chimneys and exterior walls, without an overhang or minimal coverage.
Also, any areas covered by trees and bushes are at risk for water damage because water clings to greenery, and the sun can’t effectively dry brick structures obscured by bushes, vines, and trees. So, what can you do about this?
- Treat your brick with a high-quality sealant.
- Tuckpoint (remove old bricks from mortar) and replace crumbling brick
- Prevent excess water damage by ensuring that your drainage system is up to par
- Contact Lanham Construction
Look no further than our professionals when it comes to your masonry needs. We’ve specialized in residential and commercial masonry repair services for over fifty years. Contact us if you want to keep your brick structures in the best shape.
Lanham Construction For All Your Construction Needs
Lanham Construction is an award-winning and dependable construction company dedicated to serving your home or business with whichever construction project you have in mind. Our professional team is eager to serve customers throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. When you pick Lanham, you won’t ever have to worry about the process. We’re here to help every step of the way.